One of the greatest pleasures at Dreams Resorts & Spas is sipping a nice, cool beverage poolside, on the beach, or literally in the pool. With both beach and pool service, it’s even better knowing you don’t have to leave the comfort of your seat to grab a drink. There are countless cocktails to choose from at our bars and lounges and you can try as many as you want, because with our Unlimited-Luxury® experience, guests enjoy unlimited top-shelf spirits and beverages.
One of our most popular drinks is the Mango Tango, a combination of strawberry and mango daiquiris. Since the summer is officially here, we’d like to share with you a bit of Dreams Resorts & Spas so you can recreate some of the special memories you had with us under the sun at your own homes.
Mango Daiquiri (makes 2)
- 3 ounces rum
- 1 1/2 cups mangoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups ice cubes
Mix in a blender until smooth. Pour 1/4 of drink mixture into a glass.
Strawberry Daiquiri (makes 2)
- 1 ounce light rum
- 1 ounce strawberry schnapps
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- dash grenadine
- dash orange juice
- 2 cups ice cubes
Blend in a blender until smooth. Pour 1/4 of drink mixture on top of Mango Daquiri mixture.
Guests at Dreams Resorts & Spas will experience all kinds of global cuisine at our restaurants. Today, we would like to share a delicious Paella recipe for you to make once you return home. It’s a one-dish meal consisting of rice, beans, vegetables, meat or seafood and plenty of spices. The Paella recipe we are sharing today is a favorite combining seafood and meat, making a true taste sensation. This recipe is great for family dinner – it’s a balanced meal all in one pot! It’s so delicious and is sure to become a dinnertime favorite.
Executive Chef at Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa, Mario Hernandez cooking a delicious Paella.
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Spice Mix for chicken, recipe follows
- 1 (3-pound) frying chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
- 4 cups short grain Spanish rice
- 6 cups water, warm
- Generous pinch saffron threads
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 lobster tails
- 1/2 cup sweet peas, frozen and thawed
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Special equipment:
- Large paella pan or wide shallow skillet
- Make spice mix for chicken by combining 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Rub the spice mix all over the chicken and marinate chicken for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, make a sofrito by sautéing the onions, garlic, and parsley. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on medium heat. Then, add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld. Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid. Add chicken, chorizo, and saffron. Add the clams and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. The shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook. Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, when the rice is filling the pan, add the lobster tails. When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it’s perfect. (Cook’s note: The ideal paella has a toasted rice bottom called socarrat.)
- Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.
Recipe from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-paella-recipe/index.html
From time to time, we like to share with our friends at home some our favorite drinks and recipes. When you visit Dreams Resorts & Spas, your first stop should be the pool and ask for a Caribbean Sunset. It will set the mood for your vacation. If you are at home, dreaming of your next vacation, whip up this cocktail and it will send your mind sailing into the Caribbean!
Caribbean Sunset Cocktail
1 1/2 oz citrus vodka
1 oz coconut rum
2 oz pineapple juice
2 oz orange juice
1 splash grenadine syrup
Pour vodka, rum, and both juices into a martini shaker with ice. Shake until chilled. Pour into a collins glass over ice. Finish with a splash of grenadine for the sunset effect.
There’s only one thing more delicious than a regular Mojito and that’s a Cucumber Mojito! Recently, we’ve had guests tell us that this is one of their favorite cocktails to enjoy when visiting us at Dreams Resorts & Spas, and we can see why. Mixing cucumber and mint gives this drink a crisp, refreshing taste!
Here’s the recipe to learn how to make this yummy cocktail at home. Trust us, your guests will think you’re cool as a cucumber if you serve this at your next dinner party!
- 1 lime, cut into four
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 slices cucumber
- 2 ounces of white rum
- 4 ounces club soda
- Ice cubes
What to do:
Begin by squeezing limes into a highball glass and then dropping them in the glass. Add mint leaves and sugar. Mix ingredients with a spoon or other utensil. Place 3 cucumber slices into the glass. Fill the glass with ice cubes. Pour in the rum and top with club soda. Stir once more, garnish with remaining slice of cucumber and serve.
Salsa is a staple at Dreams Resorts & Spas. Our guests love to dip tortilla chips in it as an afternoon snack or dinner appetizer, and they also love putting it on their tacos or in their fajitas. If you’re planning a Mexican feast at home in the near future, you’ll want to ensure you know how to make one of our most delicious salsas–salsa verde–for your guests. We guarantee they’ll love it!
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Jalapeño peppers OR 2 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- Salt to taste
What to do:
Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well.
Cut in half and place cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place under a broiler for about 5-7 minutes to lightly blacken the skin.
Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, chili peppers, sugar in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
The ocean at Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa isn’t the only thing that’s bright blue at our resort, one of our favorite drinks, The Turquesa, also has a beautiful blue hue. Guests rave about this yummy cocktail and enjoy lounging by on the pool or on the beach with one of these in their hands.
To feel like you’re at Dreams Cancun, try making this delicious drink at home with the below recipe.
1 oz scotch
1 oz dry vermouth
1 oz blue curacao
Serve on ice with lime juice, syrup and mineral water. Enjoy!
Who doesn’t love a refreshing cocktail while lounging by the pool or on the beach? Our guests are Dreams Resorts & Spas certainly do! In fact, a crowd pleaser is the delicious Bahama Mama and today, we’re sharing the recipe with you so you can make it at home!
- 1/2 fluid ounce rum
- 1/2 fluid ounce coconut-flavored rum
- 1/2 fluid ounce grenadine syrup
- 1 fluid ounce orange juice
- 1 fluid ounce pineapple juice
- 1 cup crushed ice
Combine regular rum, rum with coconut flavoring, grenadine, orange juice, pineapple juice and crushed ice in a blender. Blend until the drink is slushy. Garnish with an orange or pineapple and enjoy!
We’re sure you have heard of the television icon, Scooby Doo, but have you head of the Scooby Doo Shooter? This yummy drink is made from just three simple ingredients—vodka, cantaloupe liquor and piña colada mix! It’s definitely a must try when visiting Dreams Resorts & Spas!
If you’re not visiting us soon, below is the recipe to make this delicious drink at home. Don’t forget to howl “Scooby Doobie Doooo…” before you drink it!
Scooby Doo Shooter
-1 oz. Vodka
-1 oz. Cantaloupe Liquor
-1 oz. Piña Colada Mix
-Add ice, mix it all in a shaker and enjoy!
Nothing is better than relaxing under the sun with a refreshing cocktail at Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa. If you can’t be here with us this week, the next best thing is to enjoy a tropical cocktail in the comforts of your own home. Here’s the recipe for our signature cocktail, Seven Blocks.
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 ounce rum
- 1/2 ounce gin
- 1/2 ounce vodka
- 1/2 once tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 3 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces red wine
Fill a tall glass with ice, pour the rum, gin, vodka, tequila, triple sec and orange juice into the glass. Stir, then slowly pour the red wine on the top. Garnish and enjoy.
Last month, we featured the Executive Chef from Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa on our blog. As we mentioned in our first post, Chef Rafael has been with our resort for nearly two years and is truly the man behind all of the delicious cuisine at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.
Today, we wanted to feature a recipe for one of Chef Rafael’s favorite dishes to make at our resort — Veal Fricassee! We encourage you to give this recipe a try at home or book another trip to our resort if you want to experience it firsthand from our chef!
- 1 tbsp. Garlic
- 1.5 tbsp. Onion
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup White wine
- 1/2 cup Beef stock
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 3.5 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. Dried mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. Veal (Rack)
- 1/2 cup Asparagus
- In a skillet over medium heat, add onion and garlic, cook for a minute, then add the oats and stir until golden brown.
- Add the olive oil, mushrooms and stir for another minute, add the white wine until consumed and then add the beef stock, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Once the oatmeal is cooked add the Parmesan cheese and check for taste.
- On a charcoal grill, grill the asparagus and veal (previously salt / peppered) to the desired tenderness.
- Place the veal and a quarter of the fricassee together with the asparagus and finish with roasted garlic Demi Glaze sauce.